A gas leak reported at a Voelkel Avenue apartment building is under control, but crews are still conducting tests and residents still are not allowed back in the apartment building.
The leak was reported at 2900 Voelkel Avenue, the six-unit apartment building at the corner of Voelkel and Potomac avenues, around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Dormont Volunteer Fire Department Captain Jeff Stakich told Dormont-Brookline Patch the leak occurred in the basement of the apartment building, and that crews initially had trouble stopping the leak. He said it was unclear whether that was due to the cold or to old pipes.
The gas company was on scene, and the leak was stopped around 6 p.m.
Stakich said fortunately, crews were able to stop what could have been a dangerous situation.
"You could have had an explosive situation," he said. "Even with the basement windows open, the meter was spiking."
Residents of the building were evacuated and were waiting in a bus provided by the Mt. Lebanon Fire Department to keep warm.
Stakich said the gas will be off in the building overnight, and the fire department is working to determine whether residents will be able to return to the building. Half the building has electric baseboard heat and will not be affected by the gas leak, but half of the building does have gas heat, he said.
The Red Cross will be contacted if needed, he said. The fire department and gas company were still on scene at 6:40 p.m. Tuesday testing gas levels in the area.