The weather in Pittsburgh this past week has been a roller coaster. One day I was wearing flip-flops and the next day, I was in boots.
My food choices were much like my clothing choices; one day I wanted a smoothie and the next day I wanted something warm and hearty. This past weekend I decided to cozy up during the rain and make a warming quinoa casserole dish.
This dish has little ingredients and goes a long way. It is also great for potlucks, parties, and even lunch the next day.
1 ½ cups dry quinoa (I used tri-color quinoa)
3 cups vegetable broth
1, 15 oz can black beans, drained
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 red pepper, diced large
½ red onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Cumin Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Prepare quinoa as directed. Use the vegetable broth instead of water.
3. Once sweet potatoes, peppers, and onions are prepared, toss them in a bowl with olive oil and salt and pepper.
4. Add vegetable mixture into a casserole dish and cook for 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
5. Once the quinoa is cooked, remove from heat and add the black beans and cumin. Set to the side and cover.
6. Once the vegetables are tender, remove from oven. Add quinoa to the casserole dish with the vegetables.
7. Mix and enjoy!