PennDOT: Be Prepared for Snow Squalls and High Winds
Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible in Upper St. Clair, according to the National Weather Service.
PennDOT is urging drivers to slow down, pay attention and use caution on area roadways, particularly on elevated areas like bridges and ramps through this weekend.
A winter weather advisory remains in effect until 6 p.m. Friday.
Snow squalls and drifting conditions should be expected across the region as strong winds and bitter temperatures are occurring. Motorists need to be alert for rapidly changing road and weather conditions. Please use extreme caution when driving.
PennDOT offers this advice:
- Slow down gradually and drive at a speed that suits the conditions.
- Turn on your headlights.
- Stay in your lane.
- Increase your following distance.
- Stay alert, keep looking as far ahead as possible and be patient.
- Reduce in-car distractions since your full attention is required.
- Use defroster and wipers.
- Keep windows and mirrors free of snow and ice.
- During whiteouts, come to a complete stop only when you can safely get as far off the road as possible or when there is a safe area to do so.
- Do not stop in the flow of traffic since this could create a chain-reaction collision.
- Do not pass a vehicle moving slowly or speed up to get away from a vehicle that is following too closely.
- Always buckle up and never drink and drive.
Motorists are also asked to allow plenty of space when driving near PennDOT winter maintenance vehicles. Also, for their own safety and the safety of PennDOT operators, motorists should never attempt to pass a truck while it is plowing or spreading winter materials.
PennDOT reminds motorists to pack an emergency kit for their vehicles. A basic kit should include non-perishable food, water, blanket, small shovel and warm clothes. When preparing an emergency kit, motorists should take into account special needs of passengers such as baby food, pet supplies or medications and pack accordingly.
Motorists who encounter drifting snow, isolated snow-covered roadways or debris can call 1-800-FIX-ROAD to report the location.
For more winter driving tips and information on how PennDOT treats winter storms, visit www.dot.state.pa.us/winter.
What are road conditions like where you are? Tell us in the comments.