Pantry Must-Haves and a Quick Bean Salad
Helpful kitchen tips, plus a healthy recipe from Food Mood Girl Lindsey Smith.
Do you ever feel stuck in the kitchen? You open up the cabinets or fridge and it looks bare? So you end up settling for some instant oatmeal or frozen pizza?
I have been traveling for the past week and when I came home, I definitely felt this way. Luckily, I had absolute staples in my house to ensure I could make something that was both quick and delicious.
Here are some simple pantry must-haves to ensure you always have a quick and easy meal at your fingertips:
- Vegetable Broth
- Assortment of Canned Beans
- Frozen Fruit
- Frozen Vegetables
- Dry Beans
- Brown Rice Pasta
- Dry grains like couscous, quinoa, millet
- Nut Butters
- Dry Spices
- Olive Oil
Easy Breezy Bean Salad
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
2 carrots, chopped
½ onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
8 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp. raw honey
A few dashes of Cumin, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Rinse and drain beans and add to bowl.
2. Chop carrots, onion, and red pepper, and add to the bowl.
3. Combine dressing ingredients in separate bowl.
4. Pour dressing over salad mixture and stir.
5. Enjoy immediately or chill for a few hours to let the flavors soak.
NOTE: You can use any beans you have on hand. These were the two I just happened to have!