Healthy Recipe: Collard Green Fajita Wraps
Food Mood Girl Lindsey Smith of Brookline shares a fun twist on a classic dish.
Don’t let the greens fool you.
These collard green fajita wraps are not only delicious, but they are gluten-free and a unique way to make sure you get your greens! The hot ingredients steam the inside of the wrap, making it crisp and fresh, but easy to chew.
Unlike tortilla shells, collards don’t break apart on you, making them a mess-free dish. Did I mention it also saves you the calories other tortilla shells add on? A win-win for both taste and health!
- 2 collard greens, de-stemmed and tore into tortilla size
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 clovers fresh garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp. Coconut oil
Combine the following ingredients and mix:
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (or more depending on your spice tolerance)
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
1. In large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. coconut oil. Add minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Add peppers and onions and sauté 3-4 minutes. Add fajita seasoning.
3. Continue to cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until tender.
4. Add peppers, onions, and choice of meat (if desired) on top of a collard green.
5. Add any additional toppings such as hot sauce, guacamole, salsa, cheese, lettuce, etc.
6. Wrap like a tortilla shell and enjoy!
Bonus: You may also add your choice of organic tofu, fish, or organic chicken. If so, just cook in separate dish and add additional fajita seasoning as desired.